Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Let the Potty Training Begin

Well I finally jumped in with two feet. Yesterday I started to seriously potty train Jessica. She's been using the potty for months now (on/off). My fear was that maybe I would be starting too early...that my idea of her being ready and her idea of being ready were two different things. Her diaper had been dry after naps. I know she is comfortable on the potty. She can climb up on her own and knows to wipe, flush and wash hands etc. So I showed her her spankin' new Dora underwear and her eyes lit up but about 2 hours later I thought maybe I made the biggest mistake ever. :-) I was up to my elbows in pee pee puddles. After several accidents in a row I thought about going back to diapers but Scott said I was giving up too soon and I should just keep going. Well we had huge improvements on Day 2. We did have a couple of accidents but by the end of the day she was running for the potty on her own. I was still helping but she was going without me asking. She even called me after I put her to bed saying she had to go so I helped her to the bathroom and she went again.

She had me laughing so hard tonight. She wanted me to go potty too. So I obliged and when I went... her mouth opened up wide in disbelief w/a huge smile and started applauding my pottying accomplishment. It was hysterical. Everyone should experience a standing ovation for going #1. She also insisted that I get a sticker too. I think the stickers help. When we kept having so many accidents I decided to not give her underwear again (she would ask for clean underwear after every accident). I told her that she can wear underwear if she goes #1 on the potty. She was upset about not getting a new pair but I think this helped a bit too. I also think my incredible potty dance also provides much encouragement. I'm serious when I say that nobody ever needs to see this dance but it makes my girl laugh so hard out loud. The things we do for our kids.

I've been dreading this parent/child milestone and I know we still have a ways to go but just watching her start to get it and to be so proud of herself...makes my heart melt. She says "I did it." and I say "Yes you did, You did it!".

No comments: